(Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports)
The Yankees placed catcher Gary Sanchez on the 10 day DL today with a groin strain. The Yankees called up catcher Kyle Higashioka to take Sanchez’s roster spot.
Replacing Sanchez will not be easy. Despite his struggles at the plate this season, Sanchez has still hit 14 home runs and driven in 41 runs despite hitting just .190.
So who do you replace him with? Here are five waiver wire pick ups to consider.
1. Kurt Suzuki, Braves: The veteran back stop is hitting .282 with 8 home runs and 28 runs batted in. Suzuki does concede at bats to Tyler Flowers but he gets five starts a week on average so he is worth rostering.
2. Tucker Barnhardt, Reds: Barnhardt has been solid offensively since taking over for Devin Mesoraco. He hits for average (.264) and power (5 home runs).Barnhardt’s numbers don’t jump out at you but he plays every day and is worth adding short term.
3. Yan Gomes, Indians: The Indians are on fire right now and Gomes hits in the middle of one of baseball’s best line ups. Gomes strikes out a lot but the power is there and so is the potential to drive in runs.
4. Austin Romine, Yankees: I bet you didn’t know Austin Romine was hitting .302 on the season. Romine has made the most out of his at bats. He has an .894 OPS in 92 at bats. Romine will play everyday in Sanchez’s absence. He is worth rostering in the short term.
5. Max Stassi, Astros: Stassi has been drawing more starts than Brian McCann and appears to be the every day catcher moving forward. Like Yan Gomes, Stassi hits in a good line up that allows him to produce.
Others: James McCann, Tigers, Devin Mesoraco, Mets, Robinson Chirinos, Rangers, John Ryan Murphy, D-Backs, Chris Iannetta, Rockies